Consideration of Proposed Revised Avoided Costs
"Avoided costs" are estimates of what it would cost a utility to purchase electricity in the future. The Board requires the Energy Efficiency Utility to use avoided costs that have been approved by the Board in determining whether it is less expensive to invest in an energy efficiency measure that avoids the purchase of electricity or to purchase the electricity. Other entities also use avoided costs when comparing resource options.
The Department of Public Service has filed proposed revised energy and capacity avoided costs, and has requested that the Board approve them for use by the Energy Efficiency Utility in program and measure screening. The DPS has requested that the Board convene a technical workshop and allow an opportunity for parties to provide written comments on the DPS's proposed avoided costs. This webpage provides information regarding the process the Board is using to consider these proposed avoided costs.
Paragraph 11 of the Memorandum of Understanding that was approved by the Board in its 9/30/99 Order in Docket 5980 provides in part:
The DPS also will update avoided costs used in EEU program and measure screening and estimates of economically achievable energy efficiency potential as appropriate. Such updates shall be filed with and approved by the Board after an opportunity for other parties to file written comments and request a technical workshop.
- May 5, 2006, Memorandum from the Board
- Comments responding to the Board's May 5 Memorandum
- August 11, 2006, Memorandum from the Board
- August 25, 2006 - The Board convened a technical workshop on the proposed new avoided costs. The consultants who prepared the study for the DPS on which the proposed new avoided costs are based made a presentation at the workshop and responded to questions from workshop attendees. Other interested persons made comments on the proposed avoided costs. The Board also adopted a schedule for further clarification and comment, as described below.
- September 7, 2006 -
Email from Hearing Officer with specific issues for parties to address
in their September 22 comments
- September 11, 2006 - DPS clarification
of which avoided costs and other related items it is asking the Board to
- September 22, 2006 - Comments on the clarified DPS proposal
- November 21, 2006,
Memorandum from the Board adopting revised avoided costs
- April 6, 2007, Letter from DPS regarding
revised line loss calculations for use with avoided costs
Direct further inquiries or requests to:
Return to Vermont Public Service
Board Home Page