Free Tax Assistance Is Available to Eligible Low Income and Senior Vermonters
The IRS and AARP sponsor free tax assistance for eligible Vermonters. All volunteers receive training from the IRS and the Vermont Department of Taxes. Assistance is available to prepare and file the following:
- Federal income tax return
- Vermont state income tax return
- Homestead Declaration
- Property Tax Adjustment
- Renter Rebate
The IRS sponsors the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs. The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who make $51,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. The TCE program gives priority to seniors age 60 years and older.
- To learn about these programs and eligibility, visit the IRS website
- To find the nearest VITA and TCE assistance sites near you, visit the VITA/TCE locator
The AARP Foundation Tax Aide program provides tax assistance sites to seniors with moderate and low incomes, with special attention to those 60 years and older.
- To learn about these programs and eligibility, visit the AARP website
- To find the nearest AARP assistance near you, visit the AARP locator