Views of Vermont
Home Welcome Contact Information
Taxpayer Advocate
Get Adobe Acrobat  

Homestead Declarations and
Property Tax Adjustments


School Property Tax Rates  VT towns classify property on their grand lists as either homestead or nonresidential. A different school property tax rate applies to homestead and nonresidential properties. 

Homestead Property is owned and occupied by a VT resident as his or her principal home on April 1, and declared as a homestead on Form HS-122, Section A, that is filed with the VT Department of Taxes. A Homestead Declaration must be filed each year.

Nonresidential Property is
property used for commercial purposes, or as a camp, second home or summer cottage,
(2) property not declared as a homestead by the due date, or
(3) property not used as a homestead on April 1.

VT Homestead Declaration  A Homestead Declaration must be filed each year by VT resident homeowners who own and occupy property as their principal home on April 1. Persons who hold a life estate to their home or who transferred the home into a revocable trust also file a Homestead Declaration.

Property Tax Adjustment The property tax adjustment assists VT residents to pay property tax and is based on a percentage of household income.  The adjustment is credited to your property tax and the town issues a bill for any balance due.

File your Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Adjustment Online




File your Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Adjustment Online

More Information:
- 2015 Adjustment worksheet
- Amending
- Buying & Selling Property
- Confidentiality
- Deceased Homeowner
- Definitions
- Delinquent Property Taxes
- Eligibility Requirements
- General Information
- Household Income
- Incomplete Filings
- Late Filing
- New Construction
- Nonresidential Use
- Offset of Adjustment
- Ownership Situations
- School District Codes
- Special Situations


Vermont Department of Taxes, 133 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont 05633-1401