Views of Vermont
Department of Taxes
Home Welcome Contact Information
Taxpayer Advocate
Get Adobe Acrobat  

Homestead Declarations and
Property Tax Adjustments

Does your spouse or civil union partner owe money to a VT state agency and you filed a joint property tax adjustment claim? The property tax adjustment may be used to pay the bill. If your spouse is responsible for the bill, and you are not, you need to file an "injured spouse" claim for your portion of the property tax adjustment. You may receive the portion of the property tax adjustment equal to your ownership percentage of the homestead.

To make an "injured spouse" claim, send in an envelope separate from your return

(1) the request letter;
(2) copy of Federal Form 8379 (if you filed one with the IRS);
(3) documentation of your ownership interest

Mail to:
VT Department of Taxes
ATTN: Injured Spouse Unit
PO Box 1645
Montpelier VT 05601-1645.

Electronic filers also send copies of statement of income such as W-2, 1099, etc.

The Department will notify you if the property tax adjustment will be used to pay a bill to the State of VT. You have 30 days from the date on the notice to submit the injured spouse claim to the Department.



File your Homestead Declaration and Property Tax Adjustment Online

More Information:
-2014 Adjustment worksheet
- Amending
- Buying & Selling Property
- Confidentiality
- Deceased Homeowner
- Definitions
- Delinquent Property Taxes
- Eligibility Requirements
- Extension of Time to File
- General Information
- Household Income
- Incomplete Filings
- Late Filing
- New Construction
- Nonresidential Use
- Offset of Adjustment
- Ownership Situations
- School District Codes
- Special Situations

Vermont Department of Taxes, 133 State Street, Montpelier, Vermont 05633-1401